Thursday, October 11, 2007

remember?

A year ago, on an October Thursday evening, the snow began to fall. In a few short hours, the branches full of leaves straining under the weight of the wet snow began to bend and crack and break and fall just as the snow. In the aftermath of that "October surprise" I wrote this...

The power that be... or not to be (that is the question)

So the generators continue to hum along in Eggertsville... national grid estimates Friday night for restoration... last night I plugged in my TV and, lo and behold, my cable works!!! And my phone... but alas, no power... With 2800 watts I have my furnace, refrigerator, lamps, microwave and my alarm clock illuminating the night sky... a beacon of technology in a sea of tree desolation.

This morning, as I drove to my second day back to work, the utility truck caravan of 100+ vehicles was head to my neighborhood... Tonight will be one full week, 7+ and counting days without that edison invention and still I continue to habitually flip those disconnected light switches... arggg!!! how dependent we become...

I've been eating good... grilling and camp stovin' everything in my fridge... I understand that all calories have been cancelled during this disaster... good thing :)

All the branches are cleaned up and piled at the curb... basement is dry... so now we wait, wait for "the juice", those famous electrons, the power to rescue us from our Amish existence (if Amish had generators, of course)

And we have learned, learned to work hard, help a neighbor, share a shovel, a bucket, a gas can, an extension cord and batteries... teamwork and tolerance... a smile of understanding... life became simple: food, heat, friends & family... reading by candle light, going to bed early, working hard, waking up with the sun... striving toward the hope of normalcy, but changed. In months to come, we will look back and thank God we are safe, warm and loved. New friends, new understanding, new appreciation of the important things and the survival skills of working a chainsaw, starting a generator and the everlasting knowledge of Lake Effect snow in October.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Ah... sorry I missed that snowstorm. Good writing though! :)