Saturday, February 2, 2008

the toaster

My 94 year old Grandma often says: "the first hundred years are the hardest". This last week my family has experienced a major transition in the long and loving life of my Gram. After much stress and waiting, decisions and more decisions, changes and logistics, we moved my Gram to a very nice and friendly adult living home with renewed opportunity for new friends and activity.

However, it's hard to pack up 94 years of life into a cozy room and a closet. For the last few years, my Gram, in her wisdom, had begun to give away alot of her things. Her good health and wit has allowed her to ask each of our family what we could use or would want.

Today, I received "the toaster". This appliance has toasted bread for sandwiches for lunch that my Gram has shared with me for the past decade or so. Every few weeks, I had opportunity to stop at her apartment to enjoy lunch. Now, the toaster sits on my countertop reminding me of my Gram and our special lunches.

Next week, maybe my Gram and I will start a new tradition. Maybe I'll meet some of her new friends. Maybe we'll play a game. Maybe I'll bring a sandwich to share. Toasted, of course.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Aw.... that toaster is really cool! I will pray that your Gram will get all comfy & settled in her new home. I know what a tough transition that can be.